DevaCurl Review | No-Poo Worth the Hype?

7:56:00 PM




The anticipation had been building up all day knowing that I would be coming home to a box that had a magic key to perfect curly hair waiting inside of it. On my ride home that late Wednesday afternoon, I imagined myself opening up that brown box and witnessing a glowing green light just shining out of it. Ahhh!!! Once the box was opened, I could say “Yes! I finally got my hands on some DevaCurl Curly Hair Products.”




Now let’s get into the pro’s and con’s and see if DevaCurl lives up to its name! 
First product we will review is the DevaCurl No-Poo.
  • Pro: This is their “shampoo” alternative, taking the “poo” out of shampoo (meaning no sulfates). Therefore it does not strip the hair of its natural oils. Curly hair is naturally deprived of your scalps natural oils. Due to the nature of the curl, it’s super difficult for your natural oils to travel down the shaft of your hair strands. Therefore, constantly washing your curls with shampoo which contain harsh chemicals, such as sulfates, does not allow the oils to coat your hair strands properly. This in turn causes dry brittle hair that’s easily susceptible to breakage. It’s a domino effect people; all caused by sulfates! So get them out of your everyday hair care and you’re winning!  (ding! Thumbs up here!)
  • Pro: Even though it did not create any suds, I felt like it did a good job cleansing my hair and scalp and it left my hair feeling super soft (ding! Another thumbs up here)
  •  Con: The smell…oh man, totally judging a book by its cover, I was expecting the smell to  be light, fresh and pleasant based on its airy, spring-like, bright green colored packaging. But boy was I disappointed. Honestly it smells like potpourri, like Grandma potpourri (sorry Grandma). At first I couldn’t put my finger on it, but the second time I used the No-Poo all I could see in my mind was a dish filled with dried up flaky potpourri. (whomp whomp! Thumbs down for the smell)
  • Con: For those that don’t know, the DevaCurl brand can be considered as a luxury curly hair product. It runs a bit more expensive than drugstore brands such as Shea Moisture and Creme of Nature. However, because I feel it performs similar to some of the drugstore brands, having to pay a higher price for similar performance hurts my heart a little. (whomp whomp on price! Thumbs down!)


All in all, I must say it’s a fairly good product. It does its job, cleanses the hair and leaves it soft and manageable. It’s a “nice to have”. And if you can afford it, I think every curly girl should have it in her curly hair products collection. If it’s not in your budget, don’t sweat it. You don’t “need” it!

Would I purchase it again??…..Probably not since I can find a similar product with a smaller price tag and a more bearable smell!

In summary, I give the DevaCurl No-Poo a 7 out of 10!


There you have it Curl Friends!! Next I will be reviewing the DevaCurl One Conditioner so be sure to follow my blog so you don't miss that review. In the meantime, comment below and let me know if you’ve tired the No-Poo and what you think of it!




You Might Also Like

0 comments