Thanksgiving Day 2016 Co-Wash Experience | Epic Success or Epic Fail?

6:19:00 PM



I don't like to bash or speak in negative terms about products and methods that I use, but I made a commitment to be honest about my healthy, curly hair journey. Therefore, it's only right that I share my co-wash experience from a couple of weeks ago. 

To start, the Garnier Fructis Style Surf Hair Texture Paste was my holy grail styling product for a very long time before I started using more natural hair products. And I lived my that stuff, so I can't hate too much on Garneir...they held me down for a long time! So when I saw they came out with a curly hair line, I was intrigued. I mean could it be all that bad? It claims to be for dry, curly hair (ok check, that's me!). It says it has coconut, jojoba and macadamia oils (ok that's also a plus). But when you look at the ingredient list, those oils are wayyy down on the list, meaning the product contains next to nothing of these oils. 




When using the conditioner in the shower it felt very rich on my hair. However, when I finished my co-wash, it felt like it did nothing to cleanse or moisturized my curls. And to top it off, I'm not even a fan of the smell!  And smell is huuuuge for me. It's usually a main determinant as to wether I continue to use a product or set it aside and try something else. All this did not help set my co-washing experience up for success. And the icing on the cake...it was Thanksgiving Day and I was in a rush to finish getting ready to leave the house. I then resorted to diffusing to speed up the drying process. This I very rarely do as I am trying to keep my hair as far away from any potential heat damage. The diffusing just added fuel to the already roaring fire. Throughout the day my hair was everywhere, it lacked definition and felt like I was walking around with a huge frizz ball on my head.


Now guys, I don't mind volume whatsoever but for first day hair, the curls were out of control. I used products that I normally use to style my wash and go's, but the conditioner and diffuser did not let them do their job of giving my curls the definition that I like and am so used to.

This all happened on a Thursday. Then on Friday, I spent the whole day with a bun just so I didn't have to deal with my hair. On Saturday, I tried, I really did, but honestly nothing could salvage this disaster of a co-wash. And I couldn't wait for my Washday Sunday to arrive so that I could start the curls out fresh again.

The funny thing here is that while I'm all up in my feelings about how I think this was my worst co-wash to date, something totally unexpected happens. On Saturday I'm out at a store and the attendant there finishes up helping one of their customers. She turns around to ask how she could help me, but was so taken aback by my curly hair that as she was going to say "can I help you..." she instead says "wow your hair is so pretty!" She literally was at a loss for her purpose in that moment. It made me chuckle a bit as I replied "thank you." To what was to me a "bad hair day" to her was a pleasant surprise of this little shorty with big fluffy, naturally curly hair.  And going back to the chuckling moment, it reminded me to never take anything at face value and that perspective is everything. Each person's truth depends on the viewer and their perception of what is happening in front of them. I also am starting to accept that my hair can look great with or without curl definition, with or without frizz, on day 1, 3, 5 or even day 7 hair! Each is unique and should be celebrated.

Love and embrace yourself for who you are and for what you are made of. Frankly, this is you, simply you and no one can be you but YOU. 

P.S. - I can't wait to share with you what came of the Sunday Washday that followed this experience. I truly believe that my worst co-wash experience was followed by my BEST Washday results. Like guys, for real, this was an EPIC wash and go...my best to date! I'm so excited...can you tell??

Once again I can't wait to share. Stay tuned! Til next time...stay curly! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments