Pre-Pooing in 5 easy steps

8:44:00 PM


Hey Curlie! Thanks for checking out today's blog post. I'm sharing with you how I pre-poo my hair in 5 easy steps today. But before we get into that, for those that may not know, pre-poling is a treatment that you would apply to your hair prior to shampooing it. Shampoos are meant to clean your hair and a lot of the time, the cleaning process takes away from our hair and scalp's natural oils that are essential to healthy hair. Adding a pre-poo with give your hair some nutrients and protection that lessens the stripping of the hair.

Along with this post, I also filmed a tutorial on pre-pooing, along with a protective style that is housed on my YouTube channel. I will also link that video for you at the end of the article for your viewing pleasure! Now without further ado, let's get to pre-pooing!

1. Section hair - This will make it easier to work with and will ensure that all your strands are coated. This step is especially crucial if you have high density hair. Find out your hair density here (3 things you need to know to care for your curls)

2. Spritz hair - I have found that just spritzing the hair a bit makes it easier work with as well. It's easier to manipulate the hair when its a bit damp. And for me, it feels like its less prone to breakage when it has some moisture in it.

3. Apply oils - This is the fun part. Use the parts between your sections to easily apply oil to your scalp. Then use the balls of your finger tips to massage the oil into your scalp, section by section. Really take your time with this and enjoy it. The massage not only does a great job with dispersing the oil on your scalp, it also helps to stimulate the hair follicles, aiding in hair growth. Then take the oil or oil blend you've selected to apply to your hair and apply this as well section by section. I like to use the praying hands method to ensue every strand is coated with oil. Pay special attention to your ends, as they are the oldest parts of your hair and need extra love and attention.

4. Detangle - Now, I would say this step is optional. Depending on your preference, you can detangle at this step, or you can wait until you're washing your hair or deep conditioning your hair. I've found it best for me to detangle when my hair is soaking wet. I will typically detangle in the shower when I have a conditioner in my hair or while applying a deep conditioning treatment, if the product has enough slip.

5. Let oils absorb - Once you've applied your oils of choice to your hair and scalp, its important to allow the oils to do their work. I recommend adding indirect heat as this will help to open the hair cuticles and pores on the scalp. There are several ways to do this, by using a conditioning cap, steamer or hair bonnet dryer attachment. Whatever you choose, especially if you have low porosity hair, do not skip this step. Leave the treatment in for 30 mins or more for maximum effectiveness.

The final step is to rinse with warm water prior to shampooing. And vua-la..nicely pre-pooed curls ;)

Now check out a pre-poo to protective style session that I have on my YouTube channel below:


Thanks again for stopping by! Until next time...stay curly!!

x

Naia

You Might Also Like

0 comments